How Much Protein Does an Egg Contain? We all know that eggs are very healthy and a great source of high-quality protein, which is essential for building bones and muscle, along with maintaining good overall health. Eggs contain all nine essential amino acids, making it a complete source of high-quality protein.
How Much Protein Does an Egg Contain?
A small egg (38 grams) contains 4.79 grams of protein, medium egg (44 grams) 5.54 grams, large egg (50 grams) 6.3 grams, extra-large egg (56 grams) 7.06 grams and jumbo egg (63 grams) contains 7.94 grams of protein.
An average sedentary man needs about 56 grams of protein per day while a woman needs about 46 grams.
Nutrition of Eating Egg Every Day
Eggs are one of the most nutritious foods on the planet.
When put in perspective of Recommended Dietary Allowances (RDAs), a large boiled egg contains Vitamin A: 6% of RDA, Folate: 5%, Vitamin B5: 7%, Vitamin B12: 9%, Vitamin B2: 15%, Phosphorus: 9%, and Selenium: 22% of the RDA.
It has 77 calories, 6 grams of protein and 5 grams of healthy fats, and also contains good amounts of vitamin D, vitamin E, vitamin K, vitamin B6, calcium and zinc.
If you can find omega-3 enriched eggs, then even better as these contain higher amounts of omega-3 fat and are much higher in vitamin A and E.
Benefits of Eating Egg Every Day
1. Egg contains carotenoid like lutein and zeaxanthin which helps in reducing the risk of cataracts
2. Decreases risk of breast cancer when consumed daily
3. Eggs contain iron that helps the body cells to transport more oxygen and also maintains hemoglobin level
4. Decreases the risk of Alzheimer’s disease.
5. Eggs are rich in sulphur, vitamins and minerals which helps in healthy hair and nails
6. Contains vitamin A which slows ageing process
7. Vitamin D in eggs keep bones and teeth healthy. It also prevents osteoporosis and tooth decay
8. Egg contains zinc, a necessary mineral, which helps in better functioning of the immune system
9. Egg yolk has choline that encourages the functioning and growth of brain and increases memory power
10. Antioxidants, lutein and zeaxanthin, are present in egg yolks that is much needed for eye health
11. Eggs contain protein which is required for repairing body tissues and maintaining muscles and provides glow to skin to glow.
12. Egg is also beneficial for the formation of enzymes, antibodies and hormones
Disadvantages of Eating Egg Every Day
1. Eggs are rich in calorie (fat and cholesterol) which can be a threat for heart disease
2. Can lead to weight gain if one consumes many eggs daily
3. Egg contains bacterium which can lead to diarrhea, fever, and abdominal cramps.
How many egg whites should one eat per day?
An egg white contains 17 calories, 4 grams protein, 0 grams fat, 0 grams saturated fat, 0 grams carbohydrates, 0 grams fiber and 55 mg sodium. Egg whites have 4 grams of protein per egg, which is not nothing when compared with the daily recommended amount, which is 50 grams of protein per day. However, we can make an egg white omelet with two or more eggs that will not only give us a nice amount of protein but also help us feel satisfied until your next meal. They are very low in calories. If you are planning to lose weight, add plenty of nutrient-rich veggies, healthy fat like avocado or some cheese to eat to keep yourself full.
According to a study, eating high levels of dietary cholesterol like eggs can increase the risk of heart disease and death. It is crucial to keep an eye on your egg intake. When we just take the egg white it means we are ditching dietary cholesterol and calories but maintaining the same level of protein as you would with a full egg.
A single egg white contains roughly 3 grams of protein, which is half of the whole egg. In this case it’s important to stick to 8 egg whites or less per day.